Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dresser Redo

I was excited when my friend Julie asked me to makeover her childhood dresser. It is a beautiful old dresser that had seen better days.  Some of the drawer pulls were broken or missing, and it was scratched and carved up pretty badly.



Check out the carvings that Julie and her twin brother, Tommy, had done over the years...what artists!!
I actually loved the carvings, they were cute and endearing... 





















...but it was time for an update.  Julie gave me free range over what color to paint it and also what to do with the knobs.  I had just bought a new chalk paint color, Annie Sloan's Arles, a pretty yellow shade, so I decided to go with that.  Julie is a happy and upbeat person so I figured that the color would match her personality.

I usually don't sand furniture if I'm using chalk paint, but this dresser needed it.  I sanded it A LOT, trying to smooth out the scratches and carvings.  I decided to replace all of the knobs since some of the originals were missing or broken.  I chose navy blue flower knobs.  I love the combination of yellow and navy.

Changing the knobs necessitated filling in half of the holes where the handles had been.  I used Elmer's Wood Filler to do this, sanding them smooth before painting. 

Here is the updated, more modern version of an old dresser...



 

 
Thanks Julie!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Very cool! and Yellow definitely matches Julie's personality. Love it!