I finally found some time to paint them this weekend. I painted them by hand and they were A LOT of work. There are so many little crevices and the caning was difficult to paint with a brush. It was worth the effort though; I'm happy with the result.
I did the first coat in Duck Egg chalk paint...
I then did the second coat in a beige color called Old Ochre. Next, I sanded both chairs so that the blue color showed through in the "distressed" parts.
Here are the chairs after their makeover:
Keeping with the French theme, I re-did the seats in toile.
I'm hoping someone will want to take them home!
See "For Sale" section for details.