Monday, July 16, 2012

An Estate Sale Beauty

I picked up this Empire-style bureau at an estate sale held by friends of my boyfriend's family.


I don't know its exact age, but after doing a little research, I think it may be from the late 1800's or right around the turn of the century.  Very old! 

The woman I bought it from said that her neighbors, two sisters who lived together forever and never married, left it to her.

I have never "named" a piece of furniture, but I'm going to call this one Mary-Betty, after the two sisters who used this bureau most of their lives!


I was happy to know that little tidbit of information about its previous owners because I always wonder about the history of an old piece of furniture. I love history (that's why I'm a history teacher!)  It's fun to know that these old pieces of furniture had a life and a history before I stumbled upon them. 

I'm going to go a little unconventional with this one and paint it a bright aqua color.  It is the newest color from Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint line, called Florence.



Stay tuned for the transformation!

No comments: